Saturday, March 19, 2016

Compose Your Frame: Holland - 3rd Floor


I took this picture on the 3rd floor of the Holland Building where they have several computers but the shelves of books is what mostly consumes this floor. I had to move the rows in order to have a clear shot through all the way to the other side. I enjoy moving the shelves because you just literally press the "Move" button and it is fun to play with.

The Rule of Thirds comes into play nicely because you can easily divide this picture into 3 sections with the left side of the books, the middle (open) section, and the right side of the books. I like how your eye is not only pulled to the end of the row but also each and every individual book and definitely gives you a feeling of closeness and stopping at each book to examine it (at least it does that for me).

The Diagonal Rule is what drives the picture because the shelves on which the books are on are horizontal but progressing into a forward direction which then leads your eye to the next rack and the next until finally you are met with the chairs at the very end which is complemented nicely by the light. The light plays with your eye giving you a sense of relief (e.g. like light at the end of a tunnel) and mystery in the way that you cannot see what is beyond the chairs. Also the lines on the ground and the sofas are horizontal so the lines cross each other or are considered perpendicular.

The vectors are heavily present in this photo, specifically graphic vectors which have a strong sense of direction. Your eye moves through looking past the books onto what lies ahead and that is somewhat unknown but by using my imagination, it's almost like when Jesus parted the sea and creates a pathway. The lines on the ground and the sofas in the middle of the aisle cause for a little discomfort for the eye because it is like the pattern of going straight is being interrupted (especially with the second sofa). It definitely blocks my path and bothers me because I feel like I have to change my direction to get to the end. Something else that I noticed is I took this picture at an angle but it was completely unintentional. I do think it heightens the suspense and causes the vectors to have motion in them as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment